Saturday, September 12, 2009

Endless Energy, Blisters, and Censorship

This entry is going to be a real treat. Now, I know I said this blog wasn't going to be tasty, but: define tasty. The reason I say this is because I am actually writing in THE MORNING, which, if any of you know me, is unheard of. I'm the kind of person who writes all her papers between the hours of 1 and 4am, after years of being forced to wake up early for sports, so me--awake now and writing!-- is quite the anomalie. 

[sidenote: it's actually 11am now, does that count as morning?]

I've been in the city over a week now and am quickly catching on to necessary tricks to staying alive (or at least on time for work) like: downloading an app for subway times on my phone, packing necessary food so I don't die from hunger walking 4-5 miles a day, wearing sneakers and changing into heals upon arrival for work, and carrying a 10 foot machete. 3 truths and a lie? Yes. But before I go on to speak of my internships, let me tell you that I cannot. Sadly, I am legally and physically bound by the good folks at NBC-Universal and MTV Viacom from saying anything potentially incriminating about the shows I'm working on, so if you'd like to gossip, you can fly out to New York and I'll meet you for a cup of coffee in a dark alleyway-- wear all black, and don't look at me.

What I can say is that adjusting to this pace of work has been taxing, but nothing I can't handle. I'm up every morning around 7, catch a train to midtown, and am at work until 6 or 7pm. During that time I get a short lunch break, but other than that am walking around all day doing errands, with a smile of course (oy). My other mode of transportation is by foot, and I've gone through 3 pairs of shoes thus far. By "gone through," I mean disposed of because they've eaten my feet alive and left blisters (ladies: flats are dangerous! They look innocent, but when you least expect it they will dig into your heals leaving you searching for a purpose to live or a place to sit down). So, I finally found some good kicks, and my boxes from LA have arrived.

But this is tedious madness. Allow me to talk of this brilliant, crazy city called Manhattan. At all hours of the day, unless you live in the center of Central Park on a pond, you will be surrounded by people, listen unintentionally to interesting conversations, ingest a new and spectacular smell on each block, and brush shoulders with countless strangers. At first I was resistant, but after being forced to commute underground, packaged like a sardine amongst other humans just trying to get by, I've (happily?) left my claustrophobia behind because frankly, there is no time for it. Finally exhaling, I've learned to pick my head up and go with the maddening pulse of millions of strangers, existing in a sea of humans and for once feeling safe. 

This process is unlike anything I've ever experienced. On the LA freeways, commuting seems a bit more isolating: traces of self-important anger shining through the hoods of expensive cars as they push to get ahead of the next SUV-- but here... here, everyone seems to be bonded together, shuffling through the streets from all directions in one resounding beat of insane energy and relentless drive.

Don't get me wrong, it's not all magnificent. People shout things at you, cabs nearly run you over, and rain in this city comes with WIND, unlike the chill Berkeley rain that falls upon scurrying students who seek solace in their nearby apartments or houses. Everything seems to be bigger and more magnified here. If you're tired, you walk outside and are reminded that even at 2am people are out walking, talking, laughing. Truly great.

Today I'm taking a crosstown bus to the train to go to YOGA TO THE PEOPLE, where just last week, Drew Barrymore and Mary Kate Olsen were spotted in the front row. This is, of course, the sole reason why I'm going (..not). And finally, later tonight I will celebrate my 22nd year on this planet and an upcoming semester of new experiences. If I had any doubts before coming here, a lot of them have faded, as I again realize that the most learning comes from throwing yourself head first into a new place with new people. Now, to save money for Europe... 

More to come, le'chaim, good night and good luck.




1 comment:

  1. THAT WAS GREAT.
    dude.
    great.

    ALSO, HOLY MOTHER FUCK YOUR BIRTHDAY WAS SEPTEMBER 8 HOLY SHIT!@?! Happy birthday!!!!! I knew your birthday was september 8 but ahhhh!!@!?, damnit, over here its like im time traveling it doesnt even feel like septemeber, it feels like some strange french month, it would probably be called bonjourvember....or monsieur-septembre. BUT if its any consolation i didnt call ingrid on her birthdy sept 6. and i probably wouldnt remember nicole's if it werent the same day as mine...even then...welp. thats it you are my sister.

    ReplyDelete